T Sale's Blog

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Blog Potpourri for the Future

For this week’s Five for the Future, a collection of thoughts:

1. My students and I have been frustrated by how often Blogger decides that their blogs are spam and locks them (one of mine suffered the same fate). Most of the students got their blogs unlocked when they sent the request, but some are still locked out after 3 or 4 days. I’ve been wondering what we need to do to prevent the blogs from being locked – more posts at the start? A certain kind of content or key words in the first couple of posts? As I’m typing this, I realize I should send this query to Blogger, so maybe I’ll do that when I’m done here.

2. Speaking of the students’ individual blogs, I have realized how ineffectively I handled these last year. I had students post things like reading logs, freewritings, and learning reflections on their personal blogs, and then I’d go comment and give them feedback. But the individual student and I were the only ones looking at their blogs. This year I want to have the students in my English 10 classes visit one another’s individual blogs and add their comments. My next step is to put the links to the individual blogs on the class blog. Pretty simple concept, but it took be a year to realize what I really needed to do. Guess paradigm shift can be a slow process.

3. Cheryl’s, Lary’s and my AP Lit students will soon be blogging their fingers off as we read Shakespeare’s King Henry IV, Part 1. They’ll be doing a reading blog on the class blogs and commenting on one another’s ideas. At some point they’ll be cross-blogging with the other classes. When I explained the assignment, some of them seemed a little daunted, but as many seemed interested and excited. We’ll see how it goes.

4 Comments:

  • At Sat Sep 02, 07:48:00 PM 2006, Blogger Karl Fisch said…

    I wish I knew exactly what to do to prevent the spam blog designation as well. They do tend to get unblocked in anywhere from 1 to 6 days. I think the key is to have at least one "real" post as soon as you create the blog, and preferably two. I think that might avoid the issue.

    I can definitely help with putting the links on your blog. Have you considered introducing them to Bloglines? If you are going to ask them to do a lot of this, then I think that might be a better option that having to check each others' blogs all the time. I can help with this if you'd like.

    I saw the three separate posts on your blog and Cheryl's, it will be interesting to see how this works. Or, if it doesn't work, to see if there are pieces of it that might work in the future.

    Blog on.

     
  • At Sun Sep 03, 10:05:00 AM 2006, Blogger Lary Kleeman said…

    I think the students will really benefit from blogging about Henry IV, there's so much to uncover about the "unthankful king". To think that last year's reading logs were successful...now for this year's reading blogs!

     
  • At Sun Sep 03, 04:12:00 PM 2006, Blogger mferrill said…

    I am eager to hear how the Henry blogging goes between students. It might be fun to ask students to adopt Henry's persona for one of their blogs to see just how well they understand his inner conflicts!

     
  • At Mon Sep 04, 11:29:00 AM 2006, Blogger Cheryl Makovsky said…

    I've been rereading Henry IV (afterall, today is Labor Day) and I've decided that I also want to post a comment about each scene. I've never been able to quell the urge to comment--so I'll comment on my own class blog. The kids can either ignore me or respond to me--which is pretty much what they do in class anyway.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home